When Wedding Cakes Don't Taste Good

Posted at 1:09 AM

This is a still shot from the shaky-cam film Rachel Getting Married. I begged my mum to buy this DVD (pirated :D) because I had a good feeling about it. (I always have good feelings about potentially good movies...and my judgment of it after watching it is always strikingly similar to that of Roger Ebert!!! I'm a natural at film criticism!!! Ok ok dah perasan)

The film stars sweet, angelic Anne Hathaway as a junkie who came out of rehab to attend her weight-obsessed sister's wedding to an African-American musician. That's just the main gist of the film. When you get to the end of it, you'll realize what a gem Jonathan Demme (of The Silence of the Lambs fame) has dug up and polished.

The ethereal shots and hippie music set the mood aptly, but it is the characters and dialogue that really draw you in, as if you're a part of this wedding; a part of their dysfunctional lives. There are also some candy-sweet surprises here and there, with an overall core emotional value that is beyond storytelling genius.